Covers all the necessary skills and knowledge required to provide first aid responses, life support, management of casualty(ies), the incident and other first aiders, until the arrival of medical or other assistance. Incorporating the content of units HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support (there is no need to also book a seat in a CPR course).
Provide CPR HLTAID001 is also a component of this course and is trained using all 3 sizes of manikins (adult, child, infant) as per WHS 2011 guidelines. This is done as extra as the requirement states only Adult and infant CPR assessment in this training package.More information on this course is available under the More Info tab above.
Provide First Aid (HLTAID003)
$110 per student
Group and multi course costing available for quote. Cost matching also honoured.
About This Course
COURSE DURATION: The Provide First Aid course is a 7-hour practical class which you are required to book into and pay for before attending. Pre-course theory must also be completed as part of this course.
A Refresher or Renewal Provide First Aid is offered with no Online component – course practical is the same – TO Book this course you must show a current statement of attainment ( certificate). Contact us for details regarding a refresher course.
Incorporates the units HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support.
At the successful completion of this course you will be issued a Statement of Attainment from Healthcorp RTO ID Number 91222
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
- HLTAID002 Provide basic life support
- HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
The QLD Code of Practice 2014 recommends that you renew this qualification every three (3) years from the date of issue, however; the Australian Resuscitation Council recommends that you update the CPR HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, component of the course annually.
To learn more about the Learning and Assessment Strategy for this Unit of Competency, you can call our office and request for a copy to be sent to you. According to the WHS 2011, this is the minimum acceptable level of training for first aid officers for workplaces. A similar requirement is made under the New South Wales Clause 20 of the Occupational Health & Safety Regulation 2001.
First Aiders may also need to undertake additional first aid training to respond to specific situations at their workplace.
Items you will receive with this course:
- Emergency DRS ABCD Action Plan Card
- Free Access to Online Theory Portal or PDF Manual/Workbook
- A4 Certificate/Statement of Attainment in HLTAID003 Provide First Aid
You will gain a working knowledge of:
- Basic principles and concepts underlying the practice of first aid and providing a First Aid response to a casualty.
- Procedures for dealing with major and minor injury and illness
- Priorities of management in first aid when dealing with life threatening conditions
- Basic occupational health and safety requirements in the provision of first aid
- Infection control principles and procedures, including use of standard precautions
- Chain of survival
- State and Territory Legislation
- Understanding of the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), including when to use and when not to use.
First aid management of:
- abdominal injuries
- allergic reactions
- altered or loss of consciousness
- burns – thermal, chemical, friction, electrical
- cardiac arrest
- casualty with no signs of life
- chest pain
- choking/airway obstruction
- injuries: cold and crush injuries; eye and ear injuries; head, neck and spinal injuries; minor skin injuries; needle stick injuries; soft tissue injuries including sprains, strains, dislocations
- envenomation – snake, spider, insect and marine bites
- environmental impact such as hypothermia, hypothermia, dehydration, heat stroke
- medical conditions, including cardiac conditions, epilepsy, diabetes, asthma and other respiratory conditions
- near drowning
- poisoning and toxic substances (including chemical contamination)
- respiratory distress
- substance misuse – common drugs and alcohol, including illicit drugs
- Awareness of stress management techniques and available support
- principles of assessment and first aid requirements.
- Safe manual Handling
- Legal and social responsibilities
- importance of debriefing
- confidentiality, consent
- own skills and limitations
Pre Course Online Theory:
Online workbook is necessary if it is the first time you have done a First Aid course – it is fun and interactive – multichoice. Not compulsory for refresher participants. If you are wanting some pre-reading or workbook before your workshop please let us know. This can be done prior or after completion of your practical course.
Requirements & Prerequisites
There are NO pre-requisites or co-requisites for this competency unit. This unit incorporates the content of units:
- Provide cardiopulmonary Resuscitation ( CPR )
- Provide basic emergency life support
Please note that there are often physical standards which relate to the level and extent of physical performance required when undertaking accredited training.
- Physical ability for each course, (Reasonable adjustment mandates that for first aid, all participants MUST be able to perform all scenarios as written without any adjustment for physical infirmity, See specific instructions from the Industry Skills Council on our ability to modify the assessment to meet the needs of those with special needs, this is often called “Reasonable Adjustment” specifically, we have been advised in the HLT First Aid Guide Version 2 March 2018, ( available from https://vetnet.education.gov.au/Pages/TrainingDocs.aspx?q=ced1390f-48d9-4ab0-bd50-b015e5485705 )
- Adult and infant resuscitation manikans
- Adrenalin auto injectors ( Epipens)
- AED device
- Placebo Bronchodilator and spacer devices
- First Aid kit and incident forms
- First Aid Manual
Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LNN)
In order to meet competency for this unit, you will be required to meet the minimum LLN requirements of the Training Package.
Course is conducted in English.
Assessment is throughout the course to show the instructor that you have appropriate understanding of the procedures necessary to manage a first aid emergency. This will consist of theory and practical assessments.
If you are under 18 years of age
A parental/guardian consent must be obtained for any student under the age of 18 to be able to participate in this course.
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
To be able to complete any vocational education course in Australia you must obtain and provide us with a USI. This is obtainable from usi.gov.au. We are unable to supply a course certificate without this.
You can get a PDF ‘ copy on the day and originals posted to you within the week – I can also give you certified Letter of Attendance until the original certificate arrives.
Yes – just let me know so I can take more time for you and assessment support.
No – I can send you some prereading if you have Never done a course before.
Yes, we can offer student/pensioner discounts. Call for further details.
(CPR New) – 2 hours, CPR ( refresher ) 1.hr, First Aid 4hrs
3 minimal ( call for request if less )
14 ( younger if level of understanding and maturity advanced )
Please ring Judy – I have fully supported need courses and will take time to make you feel confident in what you can do.
Please call me and let me know and I will organise the best course for you to come to…and yes – you can bring your baby to CPR refresher courses.